Thursday, May 10, 2007

Thursday, May 10, 2007 - Finishing Things


I'm calling Deb's Chevy done. The foreground is darker IRL than it shows here - don't know why. But I did get some shaping of the fenders and rounded parts of the truck done and put the metal parts in with some tinted gouache which worked okay - not shiny but then an old truck's metal parts wouldn't be too shiny. Anyway, done. On to the next unfinished painting...


Worked on the Rusted Rose Design painting - using granulating/sedimentary colors, I worked the "grate" and the bg: Lunar Earth, Goethite, Lunar Red Rock, Hematite, Moonglow (all Daniel Smith colors). My intention is to leave the rose and leaves/buds smooth.


And, unfortunately, I ruined the GWS rose - put collage on it and then some texture medium to sculpt the petals and buds. After that dried, I really didn't know what to do with it - so let the 5-year-old out to do her thing - and this is what happened :( Oh, well. Sometimes you succeed, and sometimes you fail. And this one was a failure - so it will be torn up and tossed in the "round file."






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

do not throw that away. Almost done. Bring to class.
Sandy

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Rhonda,

Although I liked the stage of your "bruised center" better before you darkened the background, I agree with Sandy that you shouldn't throw it away and I will await what she tells you to do to make it better. I absolutely love the rose with the striped background, that is so unique and so attractive. I think the abstract nature of the background adds realism to the rose, if that makes any sense.

Susan

RH Carpenter said...

Hey, Sandy, but it's sooooo ugly!!! I'll bring it and see if you can tell me what to do to save it from the heap.

Susan, it will be interesting to see if Sandy can help me save it - it is such a pathetic looking thing :(