Monday, May 28, 2007

Monday, May 28, 2007 - Happy Memorial Day + Flowers

Today is Memorial Day here in the US - a day for cookouts/barbeques and family get-togethers of all kinds. The weekend the local pools open up for the neighborhoods. The start of summer! I will be going to Mom's for an early dinner/get-together this afternoon but before that I painted a bit more on the Peony and the Iris (after some good critiques from online friends).


The Iris is as done as it's going to get now. I pushed back the green and yellow sides with quinacridone gold and a touch of cobalt violet deep over the green and yellow and then added a touch of that same color inside the flower so it wouldn't be just there. I also cropped the bottom a bit after darkening the bottom and trying to get more of a curved shape there. At this point there are some places that are beginning to look overworked so no more on this one.


But the Peony still has a ways to go before being finished - I liked putting the greens in there: Undersea Green and Green Gold for the warmest ones + Sap Green and Indanthrone Blue for the coolest ones.

3 comments:

Watercolors by Susan Roper said...

Rhonda,

I did a glaze over the green spots with quin gold and liked it better. I am letting this marinate on my sideboard for awhile while we get ready to leave for awhile...I don't want to do anything to ruin this but think I have to agree with Jane about the jarring nature of the leaves, although those were present in the photo. I will decide what I am going to do with this painting when I return...no sense in worrying about that now.

Susan

Ann Buckner said...

I really like the pink flower Rhonda, and the iris is lovely too.

Thanks for the tag. I followed through and post links and a bit about me. It was great to see so much artwork!

RH Carpenter said...

Hope your painting turns out lovely, Susan. And thanks, Ann, for playing the "tag" game!