Friday, May 18, 2007

Friday, May 18, 2007 - Landscape Group Painting

I joined a Watercolor Landscape group on Yahoo hosted by Donna Elio (check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/landscapestudygroup if you're interested).

We are doing copies/pastiches of the masters of watercolor. Our first one was a copy of Alexander Cozens' (British 1717-1786)monochromatic landscape and we all were to do it plus any other landscape or seascape or cityscape work we want to do to share. Below is Cozens' work - all I can find is that it is 18th century and is called Mountain Landscape (grey watercolor on brown paper). Below is my version (not finished yet). The goal was to get that sense of distance by keeping the bg lighter and lighter and the foreground dark but we didn't have to use the same palette. I, unfortunately, chose yellow to start - must be a masochist because how do you darken yellow without adding other colors? So there is Aureolin (I don't normally use this but have almost a full tube I'm using up on just studies like this), Ultramarine Violet to brown it and then some Quinacridone Gold and Quinacridone Burnt Orange and Burnt Umber. Need the foreground to be darker and the bg isn't light enough to get a real sense of distance (I see other things I need to tweak a bit, too) I may have to do this one again to get the feel of it - although I like the brightness of my colors much more than the grey and brown of the Cozens version.



No comments: