Monday, March 19, 2007

Monday, Mar. 19, 2007 - Doing The Wave

In class today, Sandy did a demo of a big wave (from my suggestion last week) but I forgot we were doing it so I didn't take any of Jerry's pics that would have worked. So we all followed along with Sandy, working on a 1/2 sheet - and I overworked and killed my wave - not once but twice! Really bad stuff. I would share but I tore them up when I got home - that's how bad they were.

When I got home I took out my E. John Robinson book on painting the sea and did a small one that turned out okay. I guess I don't work well intuitively, without a photo. How do some artists create images in their heads and then get them down on paper? It's beyond me...and I don't know if it takes an imagination I don't have or just practice practice practice like everything else in painting.

My little painting is 5" x 8". I taped off a 10" x 14" watercolor block of Arches coldpress into 2 sections with a 3rd section for color swatches. Didn't turn out too badly - I need to straighten that horizon line, though...

Robinson recommends using: manganese blue, cerulean blue and ultramarine blue, viridian, phthalo green, and hooker's green to make all water. I used what I had - cobalt, cerulean, ultramarine turquoise, cobalt violet deep, and french Ultramarine blue.


No comments: