Thursday, December 14, 2006

Wednesday, December 13, 2006


Worked on a painting from a photo sent to me as a challenge :) and did it on masa paper (waxed back, sized top).
Take the masa paper, put it under water and crinkle it so you get lots of hard lines. Squeeze it several times and then take it out, squeeze it to get the water out and then spread the paper out on a hard board for painting. Then begin painting - the paint lays in the lines and creates great texture. A hake brush or an Asian artist's brush works well with this technique.
What I don't like about it: it's square and I don't care for what I did with the composition cutting the water into a fork at the end. May work on this some more to make it more pleasing and will definitely crop it so it's not so squared.

1 comment:

Michelle Himes said...

I like the way this is coming Rhonda. You seem to get better crinkles than I do - I wonder if it's because you use the waxed masa. When I use my unwaxed stash up I will have to try some. Be sure to post the finish.

Michelle