In class yesterday I finished the caramel apples paintings. The first painting is one using Sandy Maudlin's technique of taping each value and then painting. You end up with a painting covered with masking tape at the end - then you peel it all off and you have your painting (if you got your values right along the way. I'm not crazy about this - but I can see the attraction of the textures it creates when the paint seeps under the masking tape.
Because I wasn't happy with the taped painting, I did another one in tradition watercolor glazing. I don't have the patience to glaze more than 3 layers before I just start adding color so here is what I have on this one:
I like it better and think it looks more like the original photo taken by my husband, Jerry. This was taken in a candy shop in St. Augustine, Florida this year.